There is a world of difference between the two questions:
“What do I hope tomorrow looks like?”
“What do I wish yesterday looked like?”
- Today is not the day to try to relive the past.
- Today is not the day to try to recoup lost things from the past.
- Today is not the day to try to justify or pay penance for your past.
- Today is not the day to remind people of who you once were and what you once did.
- Today is not the day to try to wrestle from God an explanation about why things happened as they did in your past.
You can try to rewrite history, relive history, and redo history…
But the only thing you can really change is the future.
If you hope to get on with your life, redeem the rest of your life, and end well…
- Learn from your past,
- Be guided by your past,
- Find hope and strength in your past,
- But also, come to terms with your past and…
- And start investing in making for yourself a better future.
The ONE THING for today: The only thing your decisions and deeds can change is the future.
I am done with the years that were: I am quits
I am done with the dead and old.
They are mines worked out: I delved in their pits:
I have saved their grain of gold.
Now I turn to the future for wine and bread
I have bidden the past adieu:
I laugh and lift hands to the years ahead:
‘Come on, I am ready for you!’”By Edwin Markham in honor of his eightieth birthday