Introduction: I grew up in a King James Version world. My generation may have been the last. But in those days the word “ass” was not used as a curse word, it showed up regularly in the KJV sermons I heard.
Story #1: My first sermon
- Application: Is there a better way to say it?
- Application: Eliminate the word “you” and insert “we” (In most cases, you’re not ready to say anything until you do this.)
Story #2: The day I was called an ass.
- Application: Focus on what people mean not what they say.
- Application: Courage is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible but humility is the virtue that makes all other virtues acceptable to God.
“He was a good man in the worse possible way.” _Mark Twain
God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. (James 4:6)
- Reflection question: (In light of what I am supposed to be doing) Who am I here for? (“My purpose can be found just across the border of “What’s in it for me?”)
- The ultimate answer for all ministers (under Christ) is that we are here for the laity. We serve them; we work for them.