- Genesis 28:22 (NKJV) And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.” (Genesis 28:22; 31:45; 35:14, 20 \\ Proverbs 22:28; 23:10 \\ Revelation 3:12)
Jacob had a think about setting up “pillars” (a large stone or a pile of stones).
- Genesis 28:22, when he had the vision of the ladder from Heaven.
- Genesis 31:45, when he made a covenant with his father-in-law, Laban
- Genesis 35:14, when God spoke with him and changed his name from Jacob to Israel
- Genesis 35:20, placed on his wife’s (Rachel) grave.
Over the years he would return to those sacred spots (literally or in him mind) and renew himself and his faith.
- The ONE THING for today: We need sacred mementos around us to remind us of “God moments” in our lives. Look around you today. Are there any special “pillar” serving as a constant reminder of a commitment you made or a promise God made or a special moment in your life that defined you.
o Personal Examples:
- On my desk at home I still use daily a “sweat rag” that I gave out years ago during one of the 40-days as a reminder that we are to live lives of service.
- I have a little bag of “prayer rocks” that are each different and which represent a member of my immediate family. I hold them every day and pray for my family. They remind me that I am holding my family in my hands—a huge and sacred responsibility.
- At my office at church I keep a picture of Sonja as she was when I married her. It is a reminder of the girl I married and the promises I made and that ultimately the covenant I made with her is more important and lasting than anything I do in my office.
- These are just a few examples. My walls and bookshelves are lines with sacred mementos that speak to me daily.
Prayer: It’s easy to move in life and forget those special and sacred moments in our lives. Spend a few moments today and stir up the gift(s) that God has given you over the years. Remember those people, places, and events and thank God for them and remember the lessons you learned; it may be you’ve drifted from them.
Today’s Assignment: Give someone you care about a “pillar” today. It may be a red marble (representing the blood of Christ), a book with a special word for you written in the front, a picture, a placard, or some other special memento. Tell them why you are giving it to them. Explain that you count them special and you want the memento to be a reminder to them that God loves them and so do you and that you will be remembering them praying for them faithfully.