Today marks the 35th anniversary of my marriage to Sonja. I will gladly accept all congratulations and I will forward all condolences to “St. Sonja” 🙂
What does it take to make a marriage last 35 years?
- (Number one as in first and foremost) Make your devotion to Jesus Christ the center of your marriage and home. There will be times that your love and devotional for Jesus will be the only thing that gives you the strength to stay together.
- Sonja’s motto: “Die to self and live to serve.”
- Sonja’ second motto: “Don’t jump to conclusions–give each other the benefit of the doubt.”
- David’s motto: “FIDO – Forget it and drive on.”
- Frankie Sherfield’s motto: (a friend of ours) “Build a bridge and get over it.”
- Rick Warren’s motto: “It’s not about you.”
- Remember the little things.
- Remember the big things.
- Forget the bad things.
- Have a weekly “date night” (preferably in the context of celebrating “Sabbath”)
- Have fun together.
- Hang on until the grandchildren come into your life–it doesn’t get better than that!
_david & sonja