- Romans 12:18 (NKJV) If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
Success is: To be at peace with God and if possible all people
Let’s look at this definition of success one more time. I want to highlight the most painful part of the definition: “and if possible all people.”
Being at peace with God is possible…God loves you no matter who you are and what you’ve done. However, when it comes to people, no matter how hard you try there will be people who will just not like you. Furthermore, being that you are human (and others are human), you will make mistakes and/or be misunderstood no matter how hard you try and there will be people who just will not forgive you or give you grace, no matter how sincere your intentions or how hard your efforts at achieving peace with them are.
So what to do?
Success is being able to look God and yourself in the eye and say, “I did my best” and then living your life joyfully even through you know there are some (hopefully only a few) that will just never be at peace with you.
As you start a New Year determine to not allow the “impossible-to-be-at-peace-with” people to rob you of your joy.
Here are a few suggestions to help you after you’ve done all you know to do to be a peace with someone:
- Do not burn bridges. Time changes things, maybe you or them are just not mature enough to make peace just now, but later one of you may see things different.
- Do focus on relationships not resolution. How people treat you is a reflection on them, how you respond is a reflection on you. Whatever you do – peace or no peace – take the high road.
- Leave the rest to God. You are responsible for the “if possible”, God is responsible for the “impossible.” God loves both you and those that don’t love you and He has a funny way of doing the impossible.
- Move on – refuse to allow the past to weigh you down // celebrate the people who you can be at peace with and above all, celebrate the One who loves you no matter what.